Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 108

Thread: Wise County Power Plant

  1. #81
    Inactive Member pvfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,518
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Wise County Power Plant

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">they will go up over time. </div></div>

    These plants last what 20-30 years? Taxes aren't going up on this thing until around the year 2040.
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

  2. #82
    Inactive Member sup-rbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2006
    Posts
    8,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Wise County Power Plant

    I didn't know they had an expiration date. If the plant is profitable, I highly doubt it is closed in 20-30 years. With all the problems our local economies face, this power plant is the least of its worries. Could actually help pay for some schools that it seems no one else wants to pay for.
    ...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....

  3. #83
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Wise County Power Plant

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sup-rbeast</div><div class="ubbcode-body">..and there shouldn't be opposition to it. You have to offer reduced tax rates to lure business..they will go up over time. Besides, when did the locals here become such whining wussies ? For an area who heritage includes being hard nosed, it certainly has gone downhill in a hurry. For everyone that wants to whine about pollution in the air, go to Appy and sit down on Callahan Ave. for an hour or 2...then wipe all the coal dust off of ya, and worry some more about a power plant that is to be built in St. Paul. </div></div>
    [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img] But once we close the high school that will take care of that- ask Ted "the turncoat" Thompson. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img]

  4. #84
    Inactive Member pvfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,518
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Wise County Power Plant

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Could actually help pay for some schools that it seems no one else wants to pay for. </div></div>

    I'm not entirely sure to be honest with you I've not looked at that enough to know. With the tax breaks for the next 30 years or so I don't see how that is going to be possible but I could be wrong. There are other factors I think that play a far greater role in the lack of money for our schools. Losing the now Norton Commons area, the lower taxes on resource property, and not handling the money the do receive properly.
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

  5. #85
    Inactive Member sup-rbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2006
    Posts
    8,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Wise County Power Plant

    Still no one wants to pay for em. I saw where Dominion and possible school funds were briefly discussed on Channel 10 recently.
    ...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....

  6. #86
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Wise County Power Plant

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sup-rbeast</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't know they had an expiration date. If the plant is profitable, I highly doubt it is closed in 20-30 years. With all the problems our local economies face, this power plant is the least of its worries. Could actually help pay for some schools that it seems no one else wants to pay for. </div></div>
    If we get one plant and cut out the railroad , it could really be something to happen in the area. The transmission lines only are built once, not like hauling EVERY car of coal across the country. Think about the reduction in the cost of fuel, perhaps as much as 50%.

  7. #87
    Inactive Member TheBeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 24th, 2004
    Posts
    4,351
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Wise County Power Plant

    The only way to get a big business that will create jobs in here is to give tax breaks, and Wise county is not willing to give the breaks. I know for a fact that a large engine assembly plant was lost to Ohio about 5 years ago because they wouldn't give them any tax break on their machinery. This one move cost about 150 jobs, that would have gone to locals, and about 1/2 to 1 million a year in tax revenue (even with the breaks). I know this because the owner of the plant is a customer of mine from South Carolina, he has family and a residence he maintains in Wise and he wanted to try and help the area.
    [COLOR="Lime"][SIZE="6"][FONT="Century Gothic"]CREAG AN TUIRC[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/mm38nut/thkfc.gif[/img]

  8. #88
    Inactive Member sup-rbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2006
    Posts
    8,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Wise County Power Plant

    That is what I'm saying. We need industry and we need jobs. Most of all, the county needs to find ways to bring in more funds. The problem is that most folks can't see the forest for the trees when someone actually proposes to bring something in here. So, they whine and protest until it goes away. I hope the power plant is built...and it wouldn't bother me one bit if other folks decided to bring more industry in besides that.
    ...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....

  9. #89
    Inactive Member pvfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,518
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Wise County Power Plant

    I'm all for bringing in industry but to me there are cleaner alternatives that can provide just as many jobs.
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

  10. #90
    Inactive Member sup-rbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2006
    Posts
    8,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Wise County Power Plant

    The reason they want it here is because it uses coal. Guess what, that's the one resource we have alot of here.
    ...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •